Thursday, October 6, 2016

Verbals

I guess it is really my time to shine. LOL

So I will be reporting things about verbals, it was nerve-wrecking tho but I need to finish this one and do my best to explain things to my class. 

A verbal is a verb form which functions as a noun or an adjective. there are three kinds of verbals: gerund, infinitives and participle.

Gerund are verbs that functions as a noun, they are easy to spot since every gerund ends with  -ing. they can be used as subject of the sentence, after a preposition, after phrasal verb, in compound noun and as a direct object.

[verb] + -ing = Gerund

Participles are verbs used as adjective. there are two types of participles: Present (ending in -ing)and Past (ends with -ed -d -t -en - or -n)

[verb] + -ing = Present

[verb] +-ed -d -t -en - or -n = Past

* You might be confused by Gerund and Present participle, they differ in usage. Gerund were used as a noun while Present Participle functions as an adjective.

Infinitives will almost began with to- followed by a simple form verb but there are special cases wherein to- is removed when it follows this thing called special verbs like feel, help, let, make, see and watch .

to- + [verb] = Infinitives

* There is this Split infinitives wherein to is separated to its partner(verb)

to+adjective+verb= split infinitives



So that's it you Guys, I hope I helped you with your Grammar Stuffs
Hope to see you on my next one. Bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment